Protect Them with a Power of Attorney for

Healthcare and Property

If you have a college-bound child, preparations for the new school year and your child’s life away from home should include signing powers of attorney.
Once a child turns 18, parental access to a child’s medical and financial information is limited. As a result, if your child is injured or becomes ill, you may not be able to obtain emergency medical information or help with decisions. To prevent this, your adult child should consider signing two documents:
  • Power of Attorney for Healthcare – gives you the power to receive medical information and make decisions on your child’s behalf
  • Power of Attorney for Property – gives you the power to handle your child’s financial matters such as credit card bills, rent and utilities, bank account transactions, etc.
Buckley Fine Law can provide you with peace of mind before school resumes. Contact any one of our qualified estate planning attorneys at 847-381-0011 or email us at to address this with your child.